Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lassoed in Texas Series by Mary Connealy


I love to read! I could shout that from the rooftops and really enjoy myself, but I'll keep it down to a subdued roar in my head. My favorite genre is Christian mystery/suspense, but I also love Christian historical fiction, Christian romance, Christian fantasy, etc. Ok, so I love all types of writing and read almost all types of Christian fiction, but my favorite books are mystery/suspense novels. I do tend to stick with Christian authors because I enjoy books more when I'm not trying to stuff my ears with cotton or covering up my eyes...LOL! I do branch out and read some mainstream authors, but always enjoy my return to Christian authors and the wholesomeness of their novels. I do also read more serious books for spiritual growth, becoming a better parent, being a better wife, etc. but I love reading fiction. Today, I'm not actually going to chat about a mystery book (don't worry, I'll cover some of those soon) I'm going to chat about a Christian historical series I just finished reading. One thing I do enjoy in any book I read is a little bit of humor mixed in amongst the plot, or a lot of humor as is the case with this series titled Lassoed in Texas by Mary Connealy.

I truly hope that there are more books coming in this series because I had the most enjoyable time chuckling, sniffing, chortling, giggling, and just plain belly-laughing my way through all three books. Each book focuses on a different lady (or group of ladies) yet they all overlap so you continually learn more about the previous book's characters as well, another thing I really like. So, be sure to read them in order so they make the most sense. Each of the ladies is unique in her own special way, often dealing with bitter pasts and obstacles in the present, but each also struggles with many of the same issues I do in trying to walk uprightly with God during times and circumstances that make it difficult to remain upright. These books are set on the Texas frontier and I shudder at how hard life was back during the settler days. I am way too attached to my coffee maker, gas oven, washing machine, and microwave...not to mention my indoor shower and toilet!! If you enjoy reading about the settler's frontier life and strong women & men that seek to walk with God with a little (or a lot) of humor mixed in, then run and check out these books by Mary Connealy. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Hey! You're back! I love the new blog look.

I've read the second book but not the other two. I really liked the one I read, though and thought it was especially funny toward the end. I'm sure you know what I mean! ;o)

So tell me...I started reading the third book but it sounded SO much like the second that I put it down (for now). Does it get better?

MJ said...

Hey Sunny!
I just love the looks for the cutest blog on the block! They are so neat. The third book is similar to the second book, you're actually dealing with the sister from the lady in the second book. But, it's different enough that I enjoyed it...although you know me, I haven't met many books I didn't like! LOL! It also does include some further adventures of those in the second book, so that was fun too. It is definitely funny though, I can always use a good laugh. If you haven't read the first one, you should grab it...or I could look and see if I still have it to lend to you if you'd like. Let me know.